Dr Gallagher performs a wide variety and high volume of knee surgery, ranging from simple arthroscopic “keyhole” procedures including meniscal repair and microfracture, to larger reconstructive procedures such as ACL reconstruction and osteotomies, and finally, to more complex operations such as partial and total knee replacements as well as all forms of revision knee surgery including revision ACL reconstruction and revision knee replacement surgery.
Dr Gallagher was medically trained in Queensland graduating in 1993, then becoming a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) before travelling abroad to North America and the United Kingdom to complete more than 3 years of prestigious Fellowship training in advanced knee surgery, firstly with the President of the American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine (AOSSM), followed by the President of The American Knee Society (TAKS) and finally with the President of the British Knee Society (BASK).
Dr Gallagher has more than 20 years experience performing knee surgery and since 2002, has limited his practice exclusively to the operative management of the knee, before establishing Queensland Knee Surgery Clinic in 2006. Dr Gallagher is a member of the Australian Knee Society (AKS) and over the years has developed extensive expertise in small incision or “minimally invasive” surgery in conjunction with special techniques for accelerated rehabilitation.
The 20 main surgical procedures performed by Dr Gallagher can be considered under the three categories as follows:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Reconstruction
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Reconstruction
- Collateral (MCL, LCL) Posterolateral (PLC) Reconstruction
- Multiligament Knee Reconstruction
- Revision Knee Reconstruction
- Patellofemoral Realignment and Stabilisation
- Osteotomy –Tibial (HTO), Femoral (DFO), Tibial Tubercle (TTO)
- Combined ACL reconstruction& Osteotomy (ACL/HTO)
- Tibiofemoral Partial Knee Replacement – Oxford UKR
- Patellofemoral Partial Knee Replacement – Avon UKR
- Standard Total Knee Replacement – Primary TKR
- Complex Total Knee Replacement – Complex TKR
- Aseptic Revision Replacement – Non Infected Revision TKR
- Septic Revision Replacement – Infected Revision TKR
Achieving a good result from surgery begins with matching the pathology to the correct operation for the patient’s individual needs and this is something that only comes with years of training and experience. Dr Gallagher – in conjunction with his well trained and experienced team at QKSC – will carefully and correctly identify both your pathology and your goals before undertaking any knee surgery. Should you choose to have your knee surgery with QKSC, Dr Gallagher and his team will work closely with you to help ensure that your knees get you where you’d rather be.