Dr John Gallagher has approximately 20 years experience in orthopaedic surgery and more than 10 years specialising exclusively as a knee surgeon.
Dr Gallagher is a Queensland Medical School graduate who commenced his Orthopaedic career in 1996 and became a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2002. He has substantial experience in all surgeries of the adult and adolescent knee, having undertaken three years advanced sub-specialist training with leading knee surgeons in North America and the UK including the Presidents of the American and British Knee Societies. This training included performing reconstructive and arthroscopic surgery on many high demand athletes as well as cartilage transplant and minimally invasive techniques for partial and total knee replacement including revision knee replacement.
During his training in the UK, Dr Gallagher worked with the co-designers of the Oxford Unicompartmental (Partial) Knee Replacement and also has an interest in cartilage repair and meniscal transplant. He has cared for the orthopaedic needs of various sporting teams and has previously worked as an athlete care doctor at the Olympic Games (Sydney 2000) and the Goodwill Games (Brisbane 2001). Dr Gallagher continues to look after injured athletes ranging from the “weekend warrior” and part time athlete to full time professional sports men and women who play at national and international level.
Accreditation and Research Projects
Dr Gallagher has an ongoing interest in answering some of the remaining questions about difficult to treat knee conditions and is involved in research projects on cartilage injury, focal arthritis and stem cell therapy. He has written, published and presented multiple papers on knee surgery and has been a podium speaker at the Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA), Australian Knee Society (AKS), American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). He is an accredited member of many professional societies both nationally and internationally as follows:
- Australian Knee Society (AKS) – www.kneesociety.org.au
- Australian Medical Association (AMA) – www.ama.com.au
- Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA) – www.aoa.org.au
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) – www.surgeons.org
- Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) – sma.org.au
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) – www.aana.org
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) – www.aaos.org
- American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine (AOSSM) – www.sportsmed.org
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK) – www.baskonline.com
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) – www.isakos.com
Organise Your Appointment Today!
When you choose Queensland Knee Surgery Clinic you can be confident you are getting the highest level of care with one of Australia’s most respected knee specialists. Organise an appointment with Dr John Gallagher today and get fast, expert treatment for your knee.